When I first discovered copies of George Imirie's Pink Pages online, I knew I'd discovered a valuable source of beekeeping information. Add to that the fact that George's opinions were often quite entertaining, and I knew I'd have to read more.
Unfortunately, there was no single site where I could go to read all of George's Pink Pages newsletters. Even worse, when I found copies scattered across the web, they were always in widely differing formats and often difficult to read, difficult to print, or both. And of course without a single source, there was no alphabetical index that let me quickly find information on a specific topic.
So I started scouring the web for copies of Pink Pages newsletters. George's own site was the source of many of the copies I found, but even George didn't have them all, and while he did have a table of contents, he didn't have an index. I also found issues of Pink Pages on various other sites across the web, in all sorts of different formats. I downloaded every issue I could find and began the painful task of reformatting every one into html so I could present them on this site. By now my goals for this project had become:
Provide a single site containing all known issues of George Imirie's Pink Pages
Easily and clearly printed for binding in a 3-ring binder
Lightweight (minimally formatted, for quick page loads via dial-up)
I first put up my newly formatted copies of Pink Pages in late 2005, before I'd found all the issues I have now, and before I'd indexed very many issues at all. I indexed when I had time, but typing, reformatting, and indexing was time-consuming and I eventually let it fall by the wayside after indexing only back through 2002. I got back into the indexing job again in late 2006, but didn't finish due to other priorities, and I lost my personal site in 2008 when I cancelled my Comcast subscription.
Fast-forward to December 2009. I have Comcast again, and when I did a recent Google search for some information on George Imirie, my old page came up #1 on the list! Apparently some of you found this information valuable enough to mention it and link to my pages, so (after nearly two full days of html and css cleanup - my original html/css was a MESS!) I've put this content back online, and re-appropriated my old user ID with a redirect to this new and hopefully more permanent location.
By now I've put quite a bit of time into this effort, which I hope others find useful; I will do my best to keep this site up and available for as long as I have internet space. Until I decide to purchase a site specifically for this and other beekeeping content, this material will be available here. If you like this site, please send me an email at and let me know!
I still have quite a bit of work to do here, and do not expect to get to it any time soon. My main concern for the time being was getting the site and content back online and available, which I have done. The pages that have been indexed and formatted should all be working correctly. Unfortunately, I cannot say that about the pages I haven't yet gotten back to. If you run across a problem with any of these pages, please email me at with the details and I will do my best to correct the problem as quickly as possible.
Update (2009/12/08): Over the past day I've gone through EVERY page and updated it so it is properly formatted XHTML. This means it should look correct and work properly in most modern browsers. I haven't had a chance to check EVERY page in EVERY browser (and I won't!), so if you run across a problem, please let me know. I do test the major page functionality (e.g. overall layout, the menu and links) in the latest versions of Firefox, IE8, Google Chrome, and Safari.
Stuff I still have to do:
Convert "new" issues from image to html and clean up:
(3/3/12 NOTE: I received these "new" issues in image format from a very helpful MD beekeeper. Converting these to text, then html is a time-consuming process. First, I run the images through an optical character recognition program, then I painstakingly reconcile the text version with the original scan (there are always lots of errors). Finally, I drop the text into an html web page "shell" and format it a little as needed. If you're interested in helping me make these issues available on this site, please contact me at , and I will set you up and send you an issue to perform the OCR/reconciliation step, which is the most time-consuming for me!)
Clean up formatting to properly display:
Add to Index:
Indexing is very tedious and takes a long time, so while I've made some pretty significant progress on all this in the past few days, please don't expect the indexing to come along anywhere near as quickly. It's just not fun :(
Do you have issues of George Imirie's Pink Pages that I don't have on this site? I welcome Pink Pages issues submitted in any format (though I prefer electronic!) - please email me at so we can work out the details!
My name is Pete Chrisbacher, and I've been keeping bees since 2004. Depending on the time of year, I have between 15 and 25 hives and nucs, all of which are located in Royersford, Montgomery County, PA. Nearly all of my colonies are by this point descended from removals and swarm captures I have done here in southeast Pennsylvania. It is my hope that many of my bees are from surviving feral stock and as a result have the genetic diversity and/or resistance to tolerate the many diseases, pests and other pressures that plague honeybees here in North America.
I am also an IT professional, and am currently involved in a number of ventures including custom application development, custom web site development, and independent consulting as Chrisbacher Consulting LLC. Please see my main site for further details.
If you have questions or comments about this site or its content, please email me at: